UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY – HISTORIC PROPERTY – PROFITABLE BUSINESS
Considered one of Victoria’s most beautiful and eclectic bookshops, the Known World Bookshop has the potential to deliver multiple income streams.
The historic 3-storey 1870s redbrick building includes a fully self-contained 1-bedroom apartment, al fresco dining area, built in wood-fired pizza oven – and the kitchen meets council requirements for food handling premises.
Live onsite, rent out the apartment, open a B&B or add a funky café to this already successful business!
There’s also potential to grow this popular second-hand bookshop online – currently about 30% of sales come via ABE books, an eBay Online Bookshop and phone – approx. 70% through the shop.
- Trading in Ballarat and district for 22 years
- Situated on centrally located Main Road – one of Ballarat’s most important and historic streets
- Renowned for its beautiful collection of books and quirky ambience
- Loyal customer base – Described as “A little spot of brilliance in the universe” by one regular
- Hand-curated collection of books – History, the Arts, Literature, Children’s books and much, much more
- Located in the historic Bakery Hill precinct (site of the Eureka Rebellion of 1857)
- Precinct includes Ballarat’s award-winning Mr Jones Restaurant, a busy antiques shop, popular vintage clothes emporium, and a second-hand collective
- Close to 2 major supermarkets and Sturt Street (Ballarat’s main boulevard)
- Comprehensive database – Shop would benefit from a dedicated website
- Potential to also sell fine prints and artworks
- THE BUILDING:
Rewired within the last 10 years – Maintenance kept up to the highest standards
Beautifully appointed 1-bedroom apartment above the shop with rear access
Bookshop occupies the ground floor and basement – with working fireplace
Basement has access to the outside patio and decking – Al fresco dining area at the rear
Secure off-street parking for 1 vehicle with remote roller door access
Storage room (with built in wood-fired pizza oven) and kitchenette (stainless steel sink and benchtops, additional handwashing station and coving)
Ideally suit booklovers or the astute investor. No specialist knowledge required. Onsite training in all aspects of business operation, database management and processing internet orders provided.
- Handcrafted and finished customised bookshelves with handcrafted timber overhead lighting
- Antique display cabinets – Antique cash register – Numerous antique lamps
- Stools – steps – library ladder – freestanding bookshelves
- All books (Current SAV between $120,000 and $150,000)
Price: $950,000 – Freehold + Business
($850,000 building + $100,000 business, stock, fittings and fixtures)
View on map / Neighborhood
- State: Victoria